sometimes reluctant
Friday, July 21, 2006
  Shock and Horror!
We've been having some parenting challenges at our house. Our family seems to do really well with the structure imposed at school, so the mismatched days of summer are not looking good on us. During the childrens' ten-odd years on this green earth, we've tried a number of ways to help them develop strong character. Some have been more successful than others. Lately, we've had reason to question if any of our best laid plans have had any value.

With recent bouts of defiance, the rules have gotten tighter, as small deviations are not accepted. We've become very purposeful about keeping everything clear, consistent and even tough. Of course, our children feel persecuted. Truthfully, one of them feels persecuted much of the time... something aint right about that.

So, I have sought help. I've discussed the issue with trusted friends and family, gotten references for various materials, and I ordered a book from the internet. The mailman brought the book yesterday and I've started reading. It's pretty radical, but we're discussing all perspectives just now. I've been running the principals past my hubby to see if he thinks the ideas, or some pieces of them, could effect positive change. We've been talking lots about what changes we need to make to create the environment we all want for our family.

An interesting thing happened when the children caught wind of the new book. My best boy, asked if he could look at it. Stiffly, he picked it up. He carried it with his arms extended, far from him. He went straight to show it to his sister, saying, "Look, Mom's reading a book about how to get us to behave!" With an expression of shock he asked, "Are we that bad?!?" She got wide-eyed and said, "Why would Mom need a book
?"

They were aghast that extreem measures are being employed. Horror of horrors - Mom's gone and bought a BOOK!

 
Comments:
I wanna know the name of the book, Julie!
I'll pray for you and the kids!!! Glad you're human.
Cheers to you and Wil.
Currently in Calgary, Alta.
 
Hmmmm.... Spock or Dobson?
 
The book is, "To Train Up A Child" by Michael and Debi Pearl. It uses observations from Amish life and horse training. The author is a bit judgemental, I think, but the book has proved helpful. It's presence in the house was a wake up call.

We're having a better summer this week. :O)
 
Hey there. It is Steve Sporre from "Following God's Will" and my book blog "Into The Mirror" I am really REALLY not trying to spam ya but I thought I would let all of my blog friends know that my full length 11 song album is finally here!! I am really excited about it and want to thank all of you for your prayers. Get More info at my Blog... again I am sorry for the "Spam" but many of my Blogger friends asked me to tell them when it was completed!!

And PLEASE help me spread the word and the music!!
 
Observations from Amish life? Will you be taking away TV and computer privileges? :)
 
Doug - I feel your pain.

Steve - Thanks for the heads up about your music. I SOOO enjoyed your book!!!!!
Stop by any time.

OE - I wish. :)
 
Good for you! Any leverage, or attempt, is better than nothing.

Mark
 
Mark - Indeed, leverage is tremendously valuable. :)
 
But have I ever known it?
[b][url="http://hydrocodone.dewall.info "]hydrocodone and acetaminophen[/url][/b]
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: Miamisburg, Ohio, United States

I am a wife and a mom. I am an, occupational therapist. I play volleyball most every Friday evening. I believe I have supernatural powers. I take good care of my teeth.

ARCHIVES
December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 /


Powered by Blogger