sometimes reluctant
Tuesday, April 11, 2006
  No Way!!!
In casual conversation today, one of my students told me she has a dog named "Luke". I responded that I have a son by the same name and she was astonished. She said, "What a wacky name for a boy!" I mentioned that it is a Bible name saying, 'There is a book of the New Testament written by a man with that name." I thought this may give credence to the name being a person name first. She said, "The Bible sure does have some wild names for people," to which I replied, "Yep....it certainly does."

I wonder how many 'Luke is a dog's name' or 'the world is flat' assumptions I make in the average week without realizing my perspective is limited.
 
Comments:
ROFLOL!!!! Julie, that kills me. You should tell her you have a son named Scruffy and she what she says.
 
Ain't it the truth... ain't it the truth.
 
I wonder why someone would name a dog Luke. At first I thought the person might have been a General Hospital fan, but if so, the person wouldn't have been surprised at a boy named Luke.

It's interesting to note that English speakers don't name their boys "Jesus," but Spanish speakers do it all the time.
 
Jennifer - I saw this same child again and she said something that made me laugh out loud. Life is grand.

Doug and Ed - You never can tell with people. :)

OE - The person (parent) who named the dog Luke may indeed have been inspired by the character on General Hospital, withoug the child knowing that. That's a pretty good theory!

I, too, have noticed that South American cultures accept the use of "Jesus" as a boy's name. A number of Luke's peers are named, 'Christian', which I guess is a similar idea.
 
Simple but deep Julie!
Gotta check to see where Miamisburg is.... we depart Hartford CT on Sat and head towards Chicago..... that's all the plan at the moment.
 
Read about that here.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: Miamisburg, Ohio, United States

I am a wife and a mom. I am an, occupational therapist. I play volleyball most every Friday evening. I believe I have supernatural powers. I take good care of my teeth.

ARCHIVES
December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 /


Powered by Blogger