sometimes reluctant
Wednesday, February 01, 2006
  To Spear, Or Not to Spear?
My husband sent me to an article at MSNBC.com entitled, 'Love the Film, Hate the Sin? Christians Debate." It covers Christian's acceptance and rejection of the film,"Into the Spear," and the position of Steve Saint, the person the movie is based on. Since I don't know how to create a link, but I know how to cut/paste, here is the text:

Feb. 6, 2006 issue - Chad Allen: former drug-using teen heartthrob, lapsed Roman Catholic, gay activist and ... Christian missionary. The choice of the openly gay Allen as the lead actor in "End of the Spear," a new Christian-made movie about the real-life story of a son who makes peace with an Amazon tribe that killed his missionary father, has created a dilemma for moviegoers who want to support the movie's message, but not its messenger. "This story is perhaps one of the most precious, well-known mission stories of the last century," says Jason Janz, an assistant pastor in Colorado who brought attention to the issue on his fundamentalist blog, SharperIron.org. "I believe it was bad judgment to cast one of Hollywood's foremost gay activists in the leading role." But, at the same time, other religious leaders—including Jerry Falwell, who has publicly preached against homosexuals—are encouraging their congregations to see the movie.

The schizophrenic response from the Christian community is a blow to the movie's producers, who were hoping for a unified "Passion of the Christ"-type turnout. "It's disappointing," says Jim Hanon, the film's director and co-writer. "Especially because the message of the story is that you should reach out in love to people you disagree with."

When the movie's producers offered the part to Allen, who currently attends a Christian congregation, they didn't know he was gay. (The producers aren't exactly the target audience for The Advocate, which put Allen on the cover when he came out in 2001.) Ultimately, the decision to leave Allen in the role was left up to the man the movie is based on, Steve Saint, since Allen was set to play Steve—and his slain father—in the film. "My dad was my hero, and the thought of someone playing him that advocates that lifestyle made me very uncomfortable," says Saint. "But I realized it wasn't for me to condone or to condemn what Chad does or doesn't do. That is God's prerogative. And I feel that God had his hand in setting up this complex scenario for Chad to play this part."

Not everyone agrees that Allen is God-sent. Janz recently got more than 100 pastors to join him in signing a letter to the movie's producers saying that they couldn't in good conscience support the film. There is, however, one upside to having Allen in the movie. "I'm absolutely sure we're having people check it out that never would have gone to a 'Christian' movie," says Allen. "I went with 30 of my close friends, and we walked away having these amazing spiritual conversations together." Which is exactly what both Saints were trying to do in that Amazon jungle.
—Elise Soukup


I wish it made the paper that the Christian community is united around feeding the hungry, or providing inexpensive babysitting for single moms. Or providing respite for grandparents who are raising their grandchildren. I wish we were accessing the power of Christ to stomp out the power of addiction in our personal lives and then sharing this hope of freedom with others. I wish we were known for taking a stand for loving our neighbors in a way that makes our communities attractive enough to raise property values. I wish we making a stir by praying for our kid and their teachers, and thus improving national test scores.

OK, I'm rambling. I'm sure there are better examples. But isn't there something worth doing out there? Why argue about who plays a part in a movie?
 
Comments:
A great big loud AMEN, Julie! I wonder, in all of the religious films that have been made over the years (Ben Hur, Ten Commandments, etc.) how many of the leading roles were played by Christians? “The schizophrenic response from the Christian community” is more than a blow to the movie producers, it’s also a blow to the gospel of Jesus Christ.
 
For anyone in the Dayton, Ohio area who hasn't seen the movie and would like to do so,(or if you have) our church is going as a group on Feb. 12th. Discussion time will follow in our church sanctuary later that evening. We would love to have anyone that is interested in the story to join us.
We may have to make a seperate meeting time to discuss the behind the sceens side of it, and certainly will if there is good cause.

Reluctant Spouse
 
Are you saying that you are reluctant to be Julie's spouse? Cause if ya are, I'm gonna kick yer........

:0)
 
Not at all! (as you know)

Actually she has encouraged me to participate in some discussions. She is probably hoping I find a way to release me feelings concerning this crazy world of ours, and give her a break from my uninformed, over the top outbursts at humanity.I felt being anonymous wouldn't be right if I participated in any of these discussions so I decided that I should make it easier for someone to call me out if necessary. So I chose to link myself to her.
She could regret that :)
 
LOL! Of course I knew that. I think you should get a blog. I also heard there's a Bible study blog going on that has an opening. Whaddaya think?
 
On that I will have to dwell.
Though it now appears that one wouldn't have to tread lightly when expressing ones self.
I am sorry that this group has been reshaped by such a trivial issue. I suppose that response wouldn't come as a surprise to any of the parties involved.

:-( Sorry, and prayers for all of you : )
 
Julie, big amen to the topic here, and your take on it. Looking at the "glass half full" I agree that it's probably good in the sense that many curious nonbelievers are seeing a movie that otherwise would not have made their list.

I remember my first real exposure to Jesus Christ was through the musical Jesus Christ Superstar (saw it in the theatres!)... and during the crucifixion scene, people were walking out, sobbing, overcome by emotion. We really liked the music, and got the soundrack album. I must have spent 20 hours listening to it over and over again, trying to figure out this Jesus guy. A seed was planted, though it took 25 more years to sprout.
 
Chris - That's cool that you were so impacted by the portrayal of Jesus you saw in the 'Jesus Christ Superstar'. He's big enough to use whatever He wants!
 
Chris, that is so cool!

Hey Julie, I assume this movie isn't for kids, right?
 
I've thinking probably not, but I'm not sure. We should probably do a little research to find out. I'd like to take my kids unless there's violence throughout. (And there may be.) I'll let you know what I find out.
 
I like your way of thinking. Somehow, Christians have gotten their priorities all messed up.
 
Patti - I agree! It's embarassing.
 
Doug...you made me snort my hot chocolate out my nose!!!! We ALL get what we deserve. Eventually!

still grinning!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: Miamisburg, Ohio, United States

I am a wife and a mom. I am an, occupational therapist. I play volleyball most every Friday evening. I believe I have supernatural powers. I take good care of my teeth.

ARCHIVES
December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 /


Powered by Blogger