sometimes reluctant
Monday, February 27, 2006
  I Saw Something Beautiful
A first grade teacher I know asked me to read/edit her letter of resignation today.

It is apparent in the letter that she had not been invited back next year because they don't have a position for her. She did not choose to retire, although she could have done so for many years. When they need to hire another first grade teacher, they can replace her with someone cheaper. The decision was economic - not based on her performance.

In the letter she stated, "I always said I'd quit when it did not impact me to hear, 'Look! I can read this!' Thankfully, that will never happen." She spoke in her letter of the joy and growth of first grade and how there is no greater priveledge than being a part of it. She thanked the board for the honor of serving on such a great team for so many years.

We cried together. Her tears, I think, were because of loss. I cried because her gratitude touched me.

She made a choice to be grateful, to appreciate the priveledge, to be thankful for a job that never became a mundane set of responsibilities. Her career has been beautiful. The attitude of her resignation is beautiful.

She said, "I used the word 'priveledge' too many times." And "There may be punctuation errors...I just wrote from my heart... I didn't take the time..."

I told her I wouldn't change a thing.
 
Comments:
That is beautiful. What a shame to lose someone like that! Teachers (ones who care about the kids) should be treasured and ALWAYS employed.

When my wife revealed her pregnancy, she was a teacher/director of a private school, and the staff were congratulating her, and all was good. When it was revealed she was having twins, suddenly the tone changed, and she lost her job. Teachers, the best ones, often get tossed aside, and it makes me mad.

Your friend sounds like she left with no regrets, and a heart pure as gold. God bless her!
 
That is really beautiful. It's obvious that she has a heart for a teaching, even a gift. It's heartbreaking that such a dedicated and grateful teacher is going to be replaced, probably by some young girl right out of college who knows little about what it means to be a teacher. Teachers like your friend here are hard to come by!
 
She confided to me that she never would have been able to walk away. She has chosen to see this as divine providence.
I want to be just like her when I grow up.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: Miamisburg, Ohio, United States

I am a wife and a mom. I am an, occupational therapist. I play volleyball most every Friday evening. I believe I have supernatural powers. I take good care of my teeth.

ARCHIVES
December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 /


Powered by Blogger