sometimes reluctant
Friday, January 13, 2006
  Celebration
I learned something about celebrating this week from my kids and Katie, our neighbor.

My general attitude about birthdays is this: everybody's got one, so what's the big deal? Now for children, it's different. But the special day this week was of the adult variety. Wednesday was my husband's 43rd birthday.

I took the kids to pick out a card. They found one they thought was hilarious; they were absloutely cracking up in the aisle at Walmart. They laughed until they cried. It was something about coughing up a hairball for a gift. I shrugged my shoulders and we got it. They were giggling in the check out line.

We signed it and got ready for the birthday boy's arrival home. They were still cracking up about that goofy card. I knew he couldn't possibly enjoy recieving the card half as much as they enjoyed giving it. A card this good needed a bold pronouncement, they decided. We would surprise him when he got home. We would all hide and jump out and yell, "Surprise!!" and then produce the hilariously funny card.

Katie, our 7 year old neighbor, happened to be over. They showed her the beacon of humor. I don't think she was as tickled by the hairball card as the other two were, but she was certainly excited about surprising her playmates' dad when he arrived home. The jump-out-and-yell-surprise plan was GREAT!!! So, we turned out the lights hid behind the couch and waited.

And waited....

And waited.............

(I wish he'd told me he was running an errand on the way home...)

And waited.................................

Eventually, he arrived. On the count of three, we jumped up and we yelled. He was indeed surprised. He read the card. He chuckled. I thought it was cute. Kinda fun. I was done.

The kids were delighted! Katie said, "I can't wait for next year!" and "I can stay for cake." There was no next year plan. There was no cake plan. Katie needed to call her mom. But Katie was ready to party and her mom said ok, though I think she thought it was strange.

The kids decided every party needed a dancing contest and they tried out a few moves.

The cake was in the oven while we ate. Katie stayed for dinner. The kids decorated the cake with way too many sprinkles. We had candles, but no match to light them. Oh, well.

It was a fun celebration. I hope Katie makes it to next year's party. Otherwise, some scrooge like me will not have a party at all!

Any day is a good day to celebrate.


 
Comments:
That is so awesome! Happy Birthday Wil!!!!! I'm telling Jason.
 
I'll take a piece of that cake!
 
I'm not sure I could handle crunchy cake... ;)
 
Unfortunately, the cake is gone. It was crunchy, but tasted good warm from the oven. I could easily have missed the chance to celebrate. I'm going to try turn that around.
 
One can never have too many sprinkles, too much dancing, or too many parties! (But you can have too many hairballs! Ha!)

Thanks for all your prayers, I'm starting to recover. Not sure if you get the email that I commented, but I finally did Friday's Bible study. (and yesterdays and todays.) Whew.
 
Glad you're still kicking, Mimi!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: Miamisburg, Ohio, United States

I am a wife and a mom. I am an, occupational therapist. I play volleyball most every Friday evening. I believe I have supernatural powers. I take good care of my teeth.

ARCHIVES
December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 /


Powered by Blogger