sometimes reluctant
Monday, December 12, 2005
  Speaking of Dogs...
We had another dog. He was a terrier mix and was grumpy with children. We trained him to be tolerant of our kids. He knew if he growled at or bit either of them, he'd have to account for it with the BIG DOGS (the hubby and myself)! He was pretty compliant by nature; he wanted to please.

One evening a few months ago he attacked a neighbor who was sitting on our porch steps. The offended person was a 9 year old girl who is a welcome guest in our home. This child had been previously instructed that LeRoy (that's the dog) was grumpy with kids and should be 'left alone'. She complied. The attack was completely unprovoked and random. My husband and I discussed it and decided that even though the child was OK, this event was a deal-breaker. LeRoy had to go. We would try to find a home for him where there were no children around. We couldn't keep a dog who might randomly attack kids.

We informed our children and received the expected barrage of begging, complaining, crying, wailing, pleading etc... He's been with us for several years and it wasn't easy for anyone. We calmly informed them that it was a 'adult decision,' and the decision was made.

Luke, our 8 year old, was distraught. He loved LeRoy and was sure that nothing unpleasanat would ever happen again. LeRoy had been punished, and (according to Luke) reformation had occurred. There was absolutely no problem!! You could see the, "What's wrong with you people!!!!" look on his face as he accused us of overreacting. We re-stated that it was an 'adult decision' and that the decision was already made. It was difficult to accept that his opinion, though passionate and reasonable to him, made no difference in the outcome.

Luke's frustration continued to build as he realized that his arguments were going nowhere. Finally, in a burst of frustration, he said, "If you can't handle how LeRoy is, maybe you should leave." Parenting is grand. When feeling frustrated and powerless, your beloved child may be willing to swap you for a terrier mix who randomly attacks children.

It wasn't until I was discussing the parental nature of God's dealing with us that I saw that I'm the powerless child. When I think I know best, or I complain about things beyond my control, I am doing the same thing. I'm choosing a erratic terrier, when I should be choosing the ONE who knows my past, present and future, and loves me despite all my failings. The thing that I think is perfectly safe and fine, may indeed attack without warning and leave wreckage in my life. The 'it's an adult decision' position seems good and right, until I recognize I'm the child - powerless in the hands of ONE who knows best.
 
Comments:
Girl, you slay me!

"When feeling frustrated and powerless, your beloved child may be willing to swap you for a terrier mix who randomly attacks children."

That's great. And what an awesome analogy. I shudder to think of the tantrums I've thrown at God when He didn't do things my way.
 
Wow. I'm with Jennifer! Great analogy.

I know how hard it is to say good-bye to your pet. We've just had to give one of out two dogs away because he couldn't be trusted in the house. We were keeping them both in the kitchen like prisoners. If we ever let them out, the male would instantly 'mark his territory' all over everthing. Yuck. We loved him but enough was enough. We all cried but now we have the female dog who can roam the house and hold her bladder. Much better. Phew. No more prisoners and we actually feel we have a family dog now!
 
Jennifer: me too. I notice my restistance is more subtle as I've been on the road longer. It's still choosing the terrier over the lover.

Mimi - We're a one dog family now and loving it! Now there's no competition for attention; everyone is content. LeRoy is with a single adult woman and quite happy in his new home with no kids around making him nervous.
 
Doug,
I do the same type of stuff (even though I know better!) I think I've learned not to say an overt 'No' to God, so I just drag my feet. I'm sometimes reluctant and I'm getting it that it's a terrier choice.
I'm glad you ultimately made the faith choice!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: Miamisburg, Ohio, United States

I am a wife and a mom. I am an, occupational therapist. I play volleyball most every Friday evening. I believe I have supernatural powers. I take good care of my teeth.

ARCHIVES
December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 /


Powered by Blogger